Public Safety Officer
Lycoming College is hiring a Public Safety Officer! This is a full-time position within the Office of Public Safety. Public safety officers perform a variety of safety and security-related functions involved in the safeguarding of students, employees, visitors, and campus property.
Who We Are:
Founded in 1812, Lycoming College is one of the nation’s oldest and most respected residential liberal arts colleges. The College provides a high-quality liberal arts and sciences education including more than 100 majors, minors, and concentrations. The College proudly celebrates and values the principle of inclusive excellence. Our community of scholar teachers collaborates with and mentors 1,100 active learners, including 37 percent international and domestic students of color, representing 39 states, territories, and countries. In accordance with the institution’s 2021 Strategic Plan, Lycoming College has committed to recruiting more faculty and staff from historically underrepresented groups with the recognition that doing so advances institutional excellence. We are committed to fostering an inclusive campus community supporting all faculty, staff, and students. Lycoming ranks 107th in US News National Liberal Arts College category and has been named by The Princeton Review as one of The 389 Best Colleges and Universities. Students partner with faculty in doing original research, thrive in a robust program of internships, study abroad in more than two dozen countries and compete in 19 NCAA Division III sports. Lycoming College’s strong endowment-per-student provides the foundation to support a first-rate undergraduate education. Lycoming College is an equal opportunity employer.
What Will I do in this Role?
- Patrolling and monitoring premises (both on-foot and by motorized vehicle) to prevent and detect signs of criminal, suspicious or unsafe activity.
- Responding, investigating, and properly documenting calls for service in accordance with applicable policies and procedures including but not limited to:
- Assisting with students / employees / visitors
- Directing traffic and parking
- Parking violations
- Emergency assistance
- Protective escorts
- Suspicious circumstances
- Locking / unlocking doors
- De-escalating difficult situations
- Observing and reporting hazardous or unusual conditions on campus
What are we looking for?
- High School Diploma / GED required
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work and interact with diverse groups of people
- Acting with tact, diplomacy and good judgement
- The ability to respond quickly and calmly in emergency situations
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine and take appropriate emergency action
- Strong communication skills
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess experience in security and have had experience working in or living on a residential college campus.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- There is both a day shift and an overnight shift available for this position.
The position will begin at $15.00 an hour with a retention bonus of $0.50 increase after 6 months and another $1.00 per hour increase after 1 year of service!
What We Offer!
Lycoming College has an excellent benefits package that includes:
Health & Wellness Benefits:
- Health insurance – Lycoming College offers a wide variety of health plan options available
- Dental insurance, including orthodontia coverage
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Life & accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Short-term disability insurance
- Cancer insurance
- Personal accident insurance
- Wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- 403(b) retirement plan with up to 9% contributions from the College
- Free tuition for employees, spouses, and eligible dependents at Lycoming College
- Free tuition for eligible dependents at over 600 colleges nationwide through Tuition Exchange, Inc.
- Free tuition for employees, spouses, and eligible dependents at the Pennsylvania College of Technology
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- Paid Parental Leave
- 14 holidays per year
- Summer hours
- 10% discount at the campus bookstore, excluding textbooks and snacks
- Reduced rates for meal packages for on-campus dining facilities
- Use of the campus recreations center and gym facilities for employees and household family members
- Use of the campus Library
How Do I Join the Warrior Team?
Submit a resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. Application review will begin immediately. A pre-employment criminal background check and motor vehicle record check will occur post offer.
Lycoming College proudly celebrates and values diversity!
We are committed to fostering an inclusive campus community supporting all faculty, staff, and students. We encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and all who are interested in supporting and contributing to our mission. Lycoming College is an equal opportunity employer.